Ladies and gentlemen, behold, some s*** the president said during the previous week:
- “Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are…..” 3/12/2019 Trump double-tweet, Part I. This is pure, drunk-guy-at-the-bar stuff. Over halfway through his term and faced with a specific software issue on a specific type of aircraft, the president still hasn’t nominated anyone to head the FAA. He’s not even talking about the problem at hand. Instead, he’s on Twitter inciting panic across the entire aviation industry – which automation has helped make historically safe – all while the U.S. grew increasingly isolated in refusing to ground the aircraft for days. This is what not being up to the job looks like.
- “….needed, and the complexity creates danger. All of this for great cost yet very little gain. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want Albert Einstein as my pilot. I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!” 3/12/2019 Trump double-tweet, Part II. Einstein’s been dead for 64 years, so I wouldn’t want him flying my plane either (though I’m fine with really smart pilots). By the way, yes, pilots are allowed to quickly and easily take control of their planes; that’s why they’re called pilots.
- “Patrick Moore, co-founder of Greenpeace: ‘The whole climate crisis is not only Fake News, it’s Fake Science. There is no climate crisis, there’s weather and climate all around the world, and in fact carbon dioxide is the main building block of all life.’ @foxandfriends Wow!” 3/12/2019 Trump tweet. It may shock you to learn that Patrick Moore is not a co-founder of Greenpeace, but that our president got duped. Regardless, the president has countless professional scientists at NASA and NOAA telling him the opposite – that climate change is a real and present danger. Any sane person would listen to the scientists on this. The president has put his trust in some guy from his favorite TV show.
- “Republican Senators have a very easy vote this week. It is about Border Security and The Wall (stopping Crime, Drugs etc.), not Constitutionality & Precedent. It is an 80% positive issue. The Dems are 100% United, as usual, on a 20% issue, Open Borders & Crime. Get tough R’s!” 3/11/2019 Trump tweet. This tweet really gives away the game, doesn’t it? By explicitly telling senators not to consider whether his fake national emergency is constitutional, the implication is that it’s obviously unconstitutional. Presumably, the president considers this blatant unconstitutionality to be only 20% of the importance of the issue.
- “Prominent legal scholars agree that our actions to address the National Emergency at the Southern Border and to protect the American people are both CONSTITUTIONAL and EXPRESSLY authorized by Congress….” 3/14/2019 Trump tweet. Ah, yes, the “many people agree” defense. Just don’t ask the president to name any of these people. They don’t exist.
- “VETO!” 3/14/2019. Heh. This tweet came right after the Republican-led senate voted down the president’s bad idea after all. Good for them.
- “New York State and its Governor, Andrew Cuomo, are now proud members of the group of PRESIDENTIAL HARASSERS. No wonder people are fleeing the State in record numbers. The Witch Hunt continues!” 3/12/2019 Trump tweet. It wouldn’t be a week of S*** the President Says without a brand new criminal investigation into the president, followed quickly by the president declaring this, too, is part of the grand conspiracy against him.
- “Again, that was proven today: no collusion. There’s no collusion. There’s no collusion. And there hasn’t been collusion. And it was all a big hoax, and you know it. It was done and stated by the Democrats because they lost an election that they should’ve won.” 3/13/2019 at the White House. Uh, no. The president is referring here to Paul Manafort’s sentencing, in which the judge explicitly said, “The ‘no collusion’ mantra is not accurate, because the investigation is still ongoing.” This is what we’re asked to believe is an exoneration.
- “I can tell you, I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump – I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad. But the left plays it cuter and tougher.” 3/12/2019 interview with Breitbart.com. This was the president’s response to a question about political divisions in our country. It is kind of amazing, isn’t it? It’s like if your mom asks, “Why can’t you two just get along?” and your answer is, “Because I’m going to kick his ass!”
- “But I gave her my ideas on how to negotiate it. And I think you would’ve been successful. She didn’t listen to that, and that’s fine. I mean, she’s got to do what she’s got to do. But I think it could’ve been negotiated in a different manner, frankly.” 3/14/2019 at the White House. So, Donald Trump knows exactly how the Brits should negotiate their exit from the E.U., but he won’t tell anyone of this secret great idea. Does anyone in the world believe stuff like this?
That’s our report for this week. Be sure to check out the links for more info on any particular topic and, as always, thanks for reading.