Ladies and gentlemen, s*** the president said during the past week:
- “Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamburgers etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!” 1/15/2019 Trump tweet. Just putting this here to say I believe this is the dumbest “controversy” of the Trump presidency to date. Criticizing Trump for dumb things like this is how he could win in 2020, because dumb criticism inoculates him from justified criticism. The guy probably conspired with Russia to win the election, definitely committed felony campaign finance violations to win the election, obstructed justice, professed his love for Kim Jung-Un, threatened to withdraw from NATO, actually withdrew from the Paris Climate Accord then promised to renegotiate it with the rest of the entire world but never actually gave it another thought, separated children from their parents at the border with no idea how to reunite them, appointed the most corrupt cabinet in American history…and here we are talking about hamburgers. Hamburgers. Besides, he paid all by himself. For the hamburgers.
- “Be careful and try staying in your house. Large parts of the Country are suffering from tremendous amounts of snow and near record setting cold. Amazing how big this system is. Wouldn’t be bad to have a little of that good old fashioned Global Warming right now!” 1/20/2019 Trump tweet. Oh good, the “global warming is fake because it’s cold somewhere in the world today” routine. We gave the nuclear codes to an internet troll.
- “I want to take a moment to express my deepest condolences to the families of the brave American heroes who laid down their lives yesterday in selfless service to our nation. These are great people. Great, great people. We will never forget their noble and immortal sacrifice.” 1/17/2019 speech at the Pentagon. We paint a caricature of President Trump plenty here on S*** the President Says, so once and a while we should point out he can say perfectly good and normal things like this, too. He sounded the right tone here after four Americans died in Manbij, Syria the day prior. It’s not all fire and fury. He occasionally tries to act the part.
- “While many Democrats in the House and Senate would like to make a deal, Speaker Pelosi will not let them negotiate. The party has been hijacked by the open borders fringe within the party. The radical left becoming the radical Democrats.” 1/17/2019 speech at the Pentagon. Ah, there’s the President we know. Talking politics to the military has always been taboo, because the military is to remain apolitical for obvious reasons. President Trump doesn’t care about that. It’s not too big of a deal, unless he were to direct the military to do something sketchy like “secure the southern border” a week before an election, leaving everyone to guess whether the directive is legitimate or political.
- “Why is Nancy Pelosi getting paid when people who are working are not?” 1/15/2019 Trump tweet. Maybe a better question is, ‘Why is anyone working without getting paid?’ That’s because President Trump took them hostage to achieve a policy he couldn’t get using normal politics. On her first day as Speaker of the House, Pelosi passed all funding bills necessary to end the shutdown. Those bills now sit in the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) could bring them up for a vote but hasn’t. This brings up an even better question: Why is Mitch McConnell getting paid for not working?
- “A big new caravan is heading up to our Southern Border from Honduras. Tell Nancy and Chuck that a drone flying around will not stop them. Only a Wall will work. Only a Wall, or Steel Barrier, will keep our Country safe! Stop playing political games and end the Shutdown!” 1/15/2019 Trump tweet. As we discuss here every week, “caravans” refer to people fleeing their homes in fear toward America. They declare to our Border Patrol at ports of entry, so a wall wouldn’t stop them. It’s all perfectly legal. If you just wanted to sneak across our border, why join an easily visible group with thousands of slow-moving kids?
- “Gregg Jarrett: “Mueller’s prosecutors knew the “Dossier” was the product of bias and deception.” It was a Fake, just like so much news coverage in our Country. Nothing but a Witch Hunt, from beginning to end!” 1/17/2019 Trump tweet. Maybe don’t hire so many witches to run your campaign next time then.
- “Border rancher: “We’ve found prayer rugs out here. It’s unreal.” Washington Examiner People coming across the Southern Border from many countries, some of which would be a big surprise.” 1/18/2019 Trump tweet. Here’s a nice takedown of that very bad Washington Examiner article. Basically, someone along the border found a rug in their yard. Or, maybe it’s a Muslim’s prayer rug. It could be from outer space. We don’t really know.
- “.@newtgingrich just stated that there has never been a president since Abraham Lincoln who has been treated worse or more unfairly by the media than your favorite President, me! At the same time there has been no president who has accomplished more in his first two years in office!” 1/19/2019 Trump tweet. This is actually true, if by “accomplishments” he means “tweets.” Abe was not huge on Twitter.
- “Many people are saying the Mainstream Media will have a very hard time restoring credibility because of the way they have treated me over the past 3 years (including the election lead-up), as highlighted by the disgraceful Buzzfeed story & the even more disgraceful coverage!” 1/19/2019 Trump tweet. No one is saying this. People have criticized Trump proportionate to his deceit and rampant corruption. Still, sometimes the media gets one wrong. If the Buzzfeed story is proven wrong (it hasn’t been yet), they will correct the record. No one should lose sleep over this.
That’s our report for this week. Be sure to check out the links for more info on any particular topic and, as always, thanks for reading.