Ladies and gentlemen, s*** the president said during the past week:
- “We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency.” 12/19/2018 Trump tweet. You know, my spidey-sense is telling me to be skeptical here, but, let’s just roll with it. Mission Accomplished! Yes! No more ISIS!
- “Russia, Iran, Syria & many others are not happy about the U.S. leaving, despite what the Fake News says, because now they will have to fight ISIS and others, who they hate, without us. I am building by far the most powerful military in the world. ISIS hits us they are doomed!” 12/20/2018 Trump tweet. Ah, dammit! ISIS is already back? It’s only been one day! It’s worth noting that Master Putin jumped in to contradict our president on two points. First, he is quite happy to be the only major influence left in Syria, and second, he agrees with 12/19/2018 Trump that ISIS has been defeated. We’ll see.
- “If anybody but your favorite President, Donald J. Trump, announced that, after decimating ISIS in Syria, we were going to bring our troops back home (happy & healthy), that person would be the most popular hero in America. With me, hit hard instead by the Fake News Media. Crazy!” 12/22/2018 Trump tweet. I do enjoy the insecurity of him spelling out that he is our favorite, and getting out of Syria isn’t even crazy, per se. When you decide to do it, though, you should notify your own defense secretary and allies first instead of Twitter. It wasn’t even the “fake news media” hitting him hard – his own defense secretary wrote a nasty resignation letter. This was the biggest slap in the face any defense secretary has ever issued to a president, and it was warranted.
- “When President Obama ingloriously fired Jim Mattis, I gave him a second chance. Some thought I shouldn’t, I thought I should. Interesting relationship-but I also gave all of the resources that he never really had. Allies are very important-but not when they take advantage of the U.S.” 12/22/2018 Trump tweet. It’s normal to fire people over policy disagreements. What’s not normal is a secretary of defense going out of his way to call your policies un-American on his way out the door. Then getting blasted by the president on Twitter the next few days.
- “Brett McGurk, who I do not know, was appointed by President Obama in 2015. Was supposed to leave in February but he just resigned prior to leaving. Grandstander? The Fake News is making such a big deal about this nothing event!” 12/22/2018 Trump tweet. Brett McGurk’s title was the Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL. Trump makes it sound like he’s brand new here, still learning where the White House bathroom is. He’s had this job for two years and doesn’t know his point man on ISIS. McGurk resigned in protest this week after Trump announced we’re withdrawing from Syria. Trump never told McGurk of his plans. Because he doesn’t know the guy.
- “The Democrats are trying to belittle the concept of a Wall, calling it old fashioned. The fact is there is nothing else’s [sic] that will work, and that has been true for thousands of years. It’s like the wheel, there is nothing better. I know tech better than anyone, & technology…..” 12/21/2018 Trump tweet. The most knowledgeable tech person in the world would probably know the red squiggle under a word indicates a misspelling. Also, ladders. Even a 30-foot wall is no match for a 31-foot ladder. I’m surprised he hasn’t proposed a full-America thunderdome yet. Separate thunderdomes for Alaska and Hawaii. Think he would want one for Puerto Rico?
- “…..on a Border is only effective in conjunction with a Wall. Properly designed and built Walls work, and the Democrats are lying when they say they don’t. In Israel the Wall is 99.9% successful. Will not be any different on our Southern Border! Hundreds of $Billions saved!” 12/21/2018 Trump tweet (continued from previous). Wait, 99.9% effective? Hundreds of billions saved? Don’t look too hard for justification for these numbers – none exists. They were just pulled from some body part and thrown into Twitter for people like me to comment on. They aren’t true.
- “Senator Mitch McConnell should fight for the Wall and Border Security as hard as he fought for anything. He will need Democrat votes, but as shown in the House, good things happen. If enough Dems don’t vote, it will be a Democrat Shutdown!” 12/21/2018 Trump tweet. Democrat shutdown, eh? Introducing Last Week President Trump: “I am proud to shut down the government, Chuck, because the people of this country don’t want criminals…pouring into our country. So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it…. I will take the mantle of shutting down.”
- “I won an election, said to be one of the greatest of all time, based on getting out of endless & costly foreign wars & also based on Strong Borders which will keep our Country safe. We fight for the borders of other countries, but we won’t fight for the borders of our own!” 12/22/2018 Trump tweet. Nobody says that was one of the greatest elections of all time, because nobody likes Donald Trump. Trump is the least popular president since the dawn of modern polling (1945). He’s never hit 50%. The wall is even less popular. He also won based on promising great healthcare for everyone, rebuilding some infrastructure, and hiring the best people. Let’s try one of those.
- “A design of our Steel Slat Barrier which is totally effective while at the same time beautiful!” 12/21/2018 Trump tweet. Do you want to see the picture that accompanied this one? Are you sure?
Haha! Trump’s #1 most favorite project in the entire federal government was designed on Microsoft Paint? Honorable mention to the inset picture, which provides no additional info whatsoever.
That’s our report for this week. Remember to click the links if you’re looking for more info on any particular topic and, as always, thanks for reading.